BATHING IN SUNSHINE WITH SHERON
BATHING IN SUNSHINE WITH SHERON
By RubySage
17 July 2026
I was standing in the doorway to the venue where I was hosting a, cooler than the coolest of gigs, enthusiastically chatting away to a friend. As I’m sure you know, either from personal experience or from word of mouth… (not mine..a different mouth) I do tend to get, ever so slightly caught up in the moment of excitement. And besides hearing me from about a mile away, you just might even have hands laid on you, at best. The alternative is potentially being at risk of sustaining a serious injury or worse…putting your back out, trying to dodge flying wayward, story telling arms. And THIS is how I met Sheron.
Relax, no one was harmed during this meeting of two musos. Whilst flamboyantly talking (waving away), I happened to catch a glimps of a certain somebody out of the corner of my eye. It was Sheron, the Sunshine Bathing, musical wizard, himself, patiently waiting for me to get to the end of whatever it was I as gushing on about. Patient - with a hint of amusement.
Anyway to cut an even longer story short…( to save my coffee... That almost went flying) I met Sheron very recently and feel like I could have known him my whole life. He understands about supporting fellow musos, he gets the picture. The full picture of being a musician in this local scene. The good, the bad , the ugly, the beaut , the challenge, the irony...
This veteran South African musician, sound engineer, and producer, with over 30 years of musical magic making in the music industry recently release his new single, “ Bathing in Sunshine”. Now let me tell you something. I might not be as musically learn’ed’ as most of you reading this..but if there is one thing I do know, it is that I can trust my ears when it comes to good sound. And if ever there was a 'feel good' song, this is one. Do yourself a favour and give it a listen. Then come back here and tell me it didn’t make you feel a little bit better about life…that it didn’t put a spring in your step and a flabber in your be gasted ( *rolls eyes dramatically** flabbergasted - the word is flabbergasted) …by the happiness encapsulated in just one song!
Read on for one of the most insightful piece of info you'll come across. And so with no further ado, here is my Q & A with Sheron:
1.Q: Who are you : tell us about the man behind the music. When (where, who, how) did your music journey start?
A: Wow, what a tough question with possibly a very long answer.
I was “bitten” by the bug at the age of 9 as my mom started me up with piano lessons. I didn’t care much for the classical vibes but I felt being pulled into this world. Its long and hard to describe the journey from there but all I can say is that I don’t remember much besides wanting to do music in some way or form and everything that I did after that, being work or anything else was to support and bring me closer to that goal.
I worked every holiday to be able to buy what I needed, skipped school to practice, even got into trouble in the army because I was more interested in music than anything else. Every step in the journey has lead me to the next point from which I would always choose music no matter what, and no matter what the consequences were for better or worse.
I’ve given up on friendships, relationships and the ability to have a more stable and financially prosperous life because this felt like the right thing for me. I didn’t finish school and have very few other skills other than those I chose to do in this business and I do not regret anything. Honestly if I died today I would think my soul would be ok with that, even though I still have much I would want to accomplish.
2. Q:And did you always know that want to make music?
A: I didn’t always know but I think I always felt it.
3. :Q Growing up, who were your greatest musical influences?
A: So many to name: Pink Floyd, G’N’R, Run DMC, LL Cool J, Metallica, U2, also a lot of British and American pop from the 80s. Later on rock and even metal. Can’t leave out also bands live BeeGees and ABBA.
4. Q: Originals or covers?
A: I’ve been writing and recording for decades but have always been doing covers or session work for a living, only recently started releasing my music.
5.Q: Noteworthy /brag rights...?
A: I am a very hard worker and with certain things I just refuse to give up. It’s an unstoppable urge. Can’t say why. Maybe my dad put that into me.
6. Q: When/what was your first single /album released?
A: 2021 I have released “Hello It’s Us” and after that quite a few releases of many singles and two EPs.
7. And how many others since then?
A: My latest single “Bathing In Sunshine” just a month ago.
8. Q: One word of advice for new musos?
A: Listen to your inner voice and always be true to yourself. Let that lead your journey.
9.Q: One fun fact we don't know about you.…
A: I am pretty much addicted to Takealot. I think they need to give me shares :)
10. Q: Share one 'most embarrassing' moment On stage.
A: I had a bit of a cold at a gig and while I am singing someone was recording on their phone, holding the phone very close to me and while I need to breathe as I am singing some snot decided to bubble up and come outta my nose. Nothing I could have done about it but still not a great moment and look for me :)
11. Q: What is your favorite sound unrelated to music?
A: Oceans waves crashing. By the sea I am at complete peace.
12. Q: Share one useless real world talent you have.
A: I know how to make LAN cables?
13.Q: If you could change one thing in the local music scene, what would it be?
A: More awareness and support for local musicians. There is much regard and love for international acts but not enough for local. Very much different when it comes to sports. Sad.
14. Q: Do you sing in the shower? And if so.. What songs?
A: No, but I write in the shower a lot, many songs come to me while I’m showering and then I have to quickly get out and document the idea even by just singing it into my phone for the time being.
15.Q: What do you think distinguishes a great album /EP/single from a good one?
A: The songs. Only the songs. The production\arrangement plays a part of course but a great song would shine with a simple rendition as well and that’s all that counts.
16. Q: You favorite Instrument(s) of choice?
A: I don’t have one, I love all the instruments I play. At my gigs I play guitar and sing so one could claim guitar is my No.1 weapon of choice.
17. Q: Describe your song writing and song creation process.
A: There is no one process.
I write while in the shower, I write when doing sound check with a band, I write by setting time for that and sitting at a piano or grabbing the guitar and saying now I will write, I have ideas while I am driving and I sing into my phone.
The actual song creation and recording also changes because sometimes it starts with a sound, a phrase, a drum beat, not necessarily a lyric. So every new song may have its own unique process.
18. Q: What trends are you currently seeing in the music industry?
A: Ai is taking over. It can be a tool for assisting a musician/producer or it can be abused to replace lack of skill or talent. I think eventually it’ll go away but for now I am seeing many use it. Because they either don’t know how to create without it or they are just too lazy to learn. Sad.
On a positive side, many great songs lately are just so simple, and its great how some artists could make such interesting music from such simple chord progression. Ed Sheeran is a great example.
19. Q: How has the rise of digital media changed the music scene if at all?
A: Great but hard question to answer. The ability to bypass the record labels now is amazing, anyone can get out there but the same rules still apply and without good marketing your chances of getting heard or seen are still small. Marketing and PR are still the leading reasons to why some artists make it big.
20. Q: What on the cards for Sheron in the near future.. Any upcoming events you can share with us. And where can we find your work ( links).
A: https://linktr.ee/sheronmusician This is my primary social media link, here you’ll find links to my songs, videos and can follow to see where I am playing next as I am always advertising what coming for the current week/weekend.
Mostly for now I am working on a rock album, a collection of songs mostly from the last 25 years, that were a little too heavy to put in a pop/rock collection and my recent releases. I am also wanting to explore a little pop and electronic recordings and am trying out new things for the fun of it and to enrich myself and my skill set.

Comments
Post a Comment
Got something to share or add? We would love to hear from you!